Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Uwajimystery #20

ワインに合うスナック

This weeks Uwajimystery is a special one seeing how it is my 20th post. To celebrate I went ahead and splurged and bought the World's Fanciest Chips. That's right, step aside bugles.


Now your first reaction might be the same as mine, what the hell is it? Then you find yourself looking for something familiar, like English. That's when you notice Frito Lay up there in the corner. Now you're asking just what kind of strange Fritos are these? Judging by the picture its garlic bread and cheese fondue. But, maybe like me, the thing you notice and the thing that ultimately commands you to buy this bag of chips is this little guy here.


He will give you no answers on what you are getting, but he does open up a world of possibilities. After I bought these I tried doing some research on them by looking up for some sort of reference to them which all lead to dead ends. It was not until I started to try and translate some of the Japanese words did I full understand what a strange new world I had just entered. Here are the pieces I was able to translate.

Under the picture of the little man:
第8回世界最優秀ソムリエコンクール優勝
田崎真也プロデュース 

which translates to:
Masaru Masaru 8th World Best sommelier contest
Produced by Shinya Tasaki Makoto


The bold words on front:
ワインに合うスナック
Which translates to:
Wine and Snacks Meet

Below that:
チーズフォンデュ味&ガーリックトースト味 
Which translates to:
Fondue taste and garlic toast flavor


From what I can gather, what we have here is a chip to go along with your wine. You heard me. Because who out there has not felt the anger and disgust when the chips you are eating just don't match and flavor complexity and bouquet of that glass of wine you are enjoying. Well like everything the Japanese are a step ahead of us. If I could translate more I could probably tell you what it says would be the perfect wine to go along with Garlic Bread and Cheese Fondue chips, but I can't so I'll just show you the chips instead. 




As you can see there are two kinds of chips in the bag. The one on the left that looks like a sun chip is the cheese fondue, and the other dorito looking thing is the garlic bread. They do in fact taste almost nothing like cheese fondue or garlic bread. They don't taste bad at all, just not like the real thing. Maybe I just had to high of an expectation going in to this whole thing. I was expecting something fancy, something elegant and classy. Maybe it's because I don't have any wine to go along with my chips, that must be it.


Anyway, I would defiantly give these chips a try, they have a pretty good flavor. Also if you are having some sort of fancy party just grab a bag of these chips and you will have yourself an instant plate of the fanciest hors d'oeuvres from a bag ever. 




Previous Uwajimysteries

No comments:

Post a Comment