Monday, May 24, 2010

Uwajimystery #11


Double Kit Kat WTF

This weeks Uwajimystery features two Japanese Nestle Kit Kat flavors. Upon researching these two products I came across some knowledge that Japan seems to have a strange Kit Kat flavor addiction. The two flavors I found were caramel flan pudding and the other is some sort of special cookie Kit Kat. Other Japanese flavors floating around out there include edamame, pepper, soy sauce, watermelon, grilled corn, ginger ale, apple vinegar, green grape muscat, cucumber, green tea, wasabi, bubblegum, pickled plum, and the list seriously goes on and on.

Looking at some of these other flavors I think the ones I found are pretty mild. Although I don't think I have ever come across a caramel flan pudding flavored anything before.


Inside the large bag are these small mini indivually wrapped kit kats.



My initial reaction is somewhat mild, I was expecting a strong flan or custard smell. None of which was present. Mostly I could only smell caramel. Also it tastes more like caramel then anything else. The wafer is just your standard kit kat wafer with nothing much else to it.


Overall I would say the Caramel Flan Pudding Kit Kat is pretty good, still not as good as a regular Kit Kat, but good none the less.

The second Kit Kat is some sort of special cookie flavor. Maybe its some sort of popular Japanese cookie or something but I can quite tell from the packaging.


Its simmilar packaging as with the caramel flan kit kats with the indivdually wrapped pieces inside, although with these there is only one larger kit kat instead of the standard double kit kat.


This kit kat seems more like a regular kit kat to me both with the look and the smell.


I will have to admit I really like this kit kat, it is actually probably an improvement upon the standard kit kat. It does have less chocolate then a regular kit kat because some of the space it taken up with the special cookie.

I wonder why Kit Kats have become a vehicle for so many weird flavors over in Japan. Its hard to think of any product in America that would have so many different flavors under the same brand name. Maybe M&M's, but even with those you can only go so far, or so we think. Maybe Japan is just more creative or daring in their flavoring choices. Who knows I guess Kit Kats are the Jelly Bellies of Japan.

1 comment:

  1. Every month a new flavor of Kit Kat comes out in Japan. The weirdest one I've had was grape. It was not bad. The cookie one is special because the cookie is a british digestive biscuit. It has a lot of fiber in it to promote healthy "evacuation." Many Japanese snacks come out with a lot of new flavors that are only available for a few months. I guess they have to keep the public interest up.

    ReplyDelete