Tuesday, March 29, 2011

I Made This

Ebony Looking Glass

This past weekend my family and I celebrated my mom's birthday and I decided to make her something. I decided to make something special seeing how it was her 97th birthday. I came up with a new design based off of my looking glasses but instead of having a metal backing it's a solid wood frame.

I took pictures at most steps while I was making it.

Here is the rough blank of ebony that I started out with. Kind of looks like a brownie.

Ebony Looking Glass

I then roughly drew out the shape and drilled a center hole before I sawed the piece in half.

Ebony Looking Glass

Once it was cut in half I used the hole I drilled earlier as my guide when carving out the cavity for the lens. So now when I put the two pieces back together the wood grains should line up close together.

Ebony Looking Glass

After the piece was glued and clamped together I redrew the design for the pendant.

Ebony Looking Glass

Then I roughly cut it out.

Ebony Looking Glass

And then started to shape it.

Ebony Looking Glass

And then after sanding, sanding, sanding, and then sanding it some more I started to get this.

Ebony Looking Glass

And the final result was this. I drilled a hole through the top and hung it with a sterling chain.

Ebony Looking Glass

Here's looking through the looking glass.

Ebony Looking Glass

And looking closely you can see the seam where the two pieces of wood were glued together.

Ebony Looking Glass

This was a fun little piece to put together. You may even see some pieces like this in my Etsy shop in the not to distant future.

No comments:

Post a Comment