Thursday, March 3, 2011

What I'm Up To


Etsy Packaging

I've created a uniform package for most of my etsy items. It's a simple and cheap but also unique and feels intimate to the buyer. Usually when I sold something on etsy I would just throw something together before I ship it. Now I have everything set and ready to go. My basic ingredients for my packaging are a simple brown recycled paper box, white tissue paper, wax cotton cord, and a rubber stamp.

The rubber stamp is one that I recently designed and had custom made. Which is pretty cool because now I'm the first person in my family to own a stamp. It's a simple stamp with "Ian Gill Designs" below my "logo", I guess, which is my name written in all one character. I use the stamp on the bottom of the box as well as on a piece of crinkled tissue paper wedged into the lid. I like the simplicity and cleanness of it all.

I have a few different size boxes, some for small rings some for large rings and pendants. Whatever the item may be, it is placed on a cotton bedding covered with more crinkled tissue paper. The item itself is folded up in another piece of crinkled tissue paper, creating a trifecta of crinkled tissue paper. Crinkled tissue paper if you are wondering is tissue paper that has been crinkled, I usually just role it into a tight ball then unroll it but your crinkling technique may differ. I think crinkling it gives it a more softer characteristic and unique qualities.

The boxes are then held closed with some black waxed cotton cord tied with a simple bow. 


Eventually I'll post some packaging pictures with my etsy items, I just need to get around to doing it. This system will work for about 90% of my etsy items. The rest I will probably just create a custom packaging like I did with this item I sold.

What say you? Do you like my packaging? Any tips on ways to improve it? Am I crinkling to much, or not enough?

No comments:

Post a Comment