Wednesday, March 31, 2010

What I'm up to.

Etsy Shop

I'm going to be doing a relaunch of my etsy shop sometime here soon. I'm going to rephotograph my work so it will better show in the little thumbnails. I'm also going to create packaging for each of my items and have those photos with the listing. I have though about the easiest and cheapest way to package my items that consists more then placing them wrapped up in bubble wrap and in a box. I though of maybe making my own boxes and maybe ordering some online. But what I think I am going to do is find boxes at the goodwill and convert them to hold my pieces. I did this for my first item I sold over the weekend. I found a small box that I think originally held a wallet from Nautica. The box had a nice lining and a logo on the top but I covered the logo on the outside with a small piece of planished copper. Then on the inside i bought some cork board that I used to cover up the other logo and then to form a place where the piece could sit.


What say you? Do you like the idea of finding old boxes and reusing them? I did this in sort of a rush, but I think I am going to focus on coming up with a more permanent solution. Over all this box cost me about $1.50. The box was 99cents at the goodwill and the cork board was $4 but I only used about 50cents worth of that. The piece of copper was a scrap piece I have had for years. I would like to find some nice dense black foam that I could cut and form it to hold the pieces although I do like the natural look of the cork. I think I might try some leather as well. I have a few yards of really good boot leather that I bought for a project that I never ended up making. I think when I finish a piece I will also make the box for it. I don't really want to rush and make a box every time I sell something. I would like to have it boxed and ready to ship. Let me know what you think or if you have any suggestions or a better idea of how to package my items.

2 comments:

  1. This is brilliant Ian. Your pieces deserve something like that for a case. I also think it will help you command more money and will make it more appealing as a gift and true piece of art.

    ReplyDelete