Wednesday, March 10, 2010

More Production Preview


Look! Its stuff to look at

So here is another sneak peak at a new design I'm working on for my etsy shop. The first preview of these were just of the rough wood blanks that I had carved out. Now that I have all the wood shaped and I worked out a few problems I was having coming up with an idea for how to hang these pieces. So I am hoping to have these posted in my etsy shop sometime next week ranging from $20 - $30. I'm only making 5 to start and if they sell quick I may make a series of 25. I think that's a small enough amount so each one is inherently unique and I just don't want to over produce a design.

Here you can see some textures I have been playing around with. They range from hammered, machine textured, and reticulated textures.  The materials range from copper, sterling, and fine silver.


I was having trouble figuring out just how to hang these pieces in a way that was quick easy and cheap. Simple sterling wire did the trick. At first I drilled holes in the top and stuck the wire strait in but I couldn't find the right glue to hold it. I tried epoxy, gorilla glue, E600 glue, wood glue, nothing would hold. Maybe its just my quality control tools (ie my monkey hands) are to demanding, but I want my items to hold up to the test of time. So I came up with a different way to secure the wire into the wood. 


I carved little nooks on the inside of the carved out window in which I could bend the wire over and then once the textured metal inlay was secured it would hold that wire in place, thus making it virtually impossible for it to be pulled out.


So now I have everything figured out including the findings and the cord which to hang the pieces from. I'm using a simple 1mm waxed cotton cord that will be attached with sterling cord ends that will be attached to each other with epoxy. Then at the ends will be simple s-hooks made from sterling wire. Simple and easy but still unique looking. 


I think that I'm at a point now with these that I could probably make 20+ in a day. I hope to come up with more simple designs like this that are quick and easy to make but they still look amazing and even though I sell them at a low cost the profit margin for each one will still be great. Although I don't want to start sacrificing quality for quantity. I still want my main focus to be wholly unique one off pieces, but I need to make these quick and easy pieces to fill the gaps.


What say you?


2 comments: