Thursday, January 12, 2012

12

Work

I really like watching, and listening to TED talks. They always have such a wide variety of people giving talks from every sort of background you always hear something that will make you think. It's a great way to learn about new things or to hear something that will make you think twice about something.

I watched one TED talk recently that really hit home with something I believe in. The value of work. It was given by Mike Rowe from that Dirty Jobs show. He gives his insight into what he has learned over the years spending time with all sorts of working people. Watch below.


Skilled labor really is lacking these days. It's amazing how many people don't even know how to repair the simplest thing in their house. I think it is really important to know how to fix things, or at least know how something you use works. Well, I guess most things in people homes these days cant really be repaired. Most TV's, microwaves, and almost all modern appliances are not really meant to be repaired when they break, just replaced. Maybe this is one of the causes of the decline of skilled labor. When I say skilled labor, i really mean people who have the knowledge to make and repair things, generally. It seems like with every generation a little more and more of skilled labor gets lost. There must be a point where everything just starts falling apart because no one knows how to fix anything anymore. Hopefully not. This is kind of why I want to become a teacher. I want to teach people how to make things and work with their hands. I think it's really important.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed hearing his speech. I'm someone who doesn't know how to fix anything or work with my hands for money but I know the joy in it. I often which I could work with other things the way I do with paper. Knowing it's limits and how to push and manipulate them...there's great satisfaction pushing a physical thing as well as your mental self to be it's best.

    ReplyDelete