Thursday, February 18, 2010

Thrifty #2

I found a Brownie Hawkeye Camera in the original box at Goodwill.


I love the Art-Deco styling of this camera. Its a mass produced super simple functioning camera made from molded plastic. There is one aperture setting, one set shutter speed, and one focal length. Its basically a stylized pinhole camera with one simple lens. You are able to take long exposure shots but there is no place to fasten a tripod and no remote shutter control.


Its built for 620 film but they don't make that anymore. So I think I am going to try and convert it to 35mm film. I will have to make some new spools and tape up the seems, I think this thing bleeds a lot of light.


I love the view finder of this camera, that's where it gets the hawkeye name. You can easily view what you shooting even holding the camera at waste level, although it is reversed.



Great find at only $3.99. More pictures here.

2 comments:

  1. awesoooooooooome!!!! don't loose that box! have you researched how valuable it is in the box on good condition?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I don't think its worth too much. They were mass produced in the millions upon millions. I still love it though. I want to get it functioning as a 35mm so I can walk around snapping pictures with it.

    ReplyDelete