Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Production Preview

So I am about to go into production of some pieces for my Etsy shop.


Etsy
Buy Handmade
IanGill

I love creating one off unique pieces but I need to start making some money. I have decided to create easily producible yet individually unique pieces. I don't like the idea of creating exact copies and selling then over and over again, so these will be limited series each with its own number. I would like each of these pieces to range from $20 to $30.



So here you can see some varying shapes of my dream window design. You can see how each window is unique because of the random pattern when the wire is strung. I have settled on the bottom right design. The tall skinny one started to bow in the middle, as you can see, which was a little concerning. I'm still trying to come up with a simple solution for the hook which also serves the purpose of covering up the knots at the end of the wire. But you can see below that I have already cut out some blanks and I'm ready to start production.



I think I will continue to create some unique pieces of this design varying the shape and size of the window.



I have also started working on a new design that I hope to go in to production with. It will involve the same dark rosewood frame and it will show off a small textured piece of metal. I have not finished the first piece but I hope to create some small metal pieces that are based off of my copper plate series. You can see the carved window space where the metal piece will be inlaid as well as some blanks ready to be carved.



Let me know what you think, how do you feel about production series in general? I still feel that each one will be unique in its own right even though they are the same design. How do you feel about these designs? Any questions, comments?

1 comment: