Thursday, February 10, 2011

Throwback #1

Sawn Fork

I'm going to start a new regular post called Throwback. It will be where I share pictures of some of my works that I had made long ago but never really shared it. Most of these will be from when I was a student and will be of certain assignments or projects I had worked on in the past. There are a lot of things that I don't even have pictures of so this will be a good way for me to actually go through some of my stuff and document it along the way.

For this first post I think it's only right that I share the first thing that I actually made back in 2005. The first assignment in my metals studio class, which was my first art class, was to take an everyday item and change and manipulate it somehow. I chose to take a fork and then freehand draw an intertwining pattern that the forks made. So here is the first piece I ever made. I don't think I have any other pictures of this online anywhere.

sawn fork

It was sawn out of a single piece of copper sheet then the brass handle was cut to match and riveted on. It's about 8 inches tall. I think the assignment was for us to utilize skills such as sawing, piercing, riveting, and then have a texture and patina. The patina and texture on the fork is one that I came up with myself and is super simple, but I'm not sharing. I think I got an A on the assignment.

sawn fork

This piece mostly lives in an envelope filed away in a cabinet and I'm comfortable with that right now. Eventually I'll probably frame it or something. Or, if I ever become famous I'll probably sell it on ebay and then take the money and retire.

No comments:

Post a Comment