Thursday, March 8, 2012

68

That Kony Video

Well where should I start with this one. Maybe at the beginning. Yesterday when I happened to look at my facebook I saw saw all these posts about the same thing. One of the first things that set off warning bells was that it was being posted by people that I never see post, and also being posted by multiple people who have very far ranging backgrounds and beliefs. It was all about the Kony 2012 video. I looked up what that video was and watched it on Invisible Children's site. Watching the video through left me with varying emotions, maybe mostly confusion, I kind of have a hard time putting my reaction into words. I think there have been a lot of great responses that express how I feel about this charity and talking with Carmel gives some great insight into how I feel. We were talking a lot about all the hype this video was getting on facebook and elsewhere. She wrote a great blog post laying out just what she, and I, feel about it. You should read her post here.

 I've been reading a lot of responses to this viral campaign and I have to say this is one of my favorite below. I think one of the best things she says is "I think we need to have kind of some intelligent campaign that's geared toward really real policy shift,  rather then a very sensationalized story that is out to make just a person cry and at the end of the day we forget about it."


I found this video here which I think is a great collection of people telling their reaction to this video.

I don't really feel like standing on a soap box or write down what I'm trying, and probably failin, to get some point across. I just feel that this issue is an important one, and one that cant be solved in simple ways. If you liked the video I think that's fine, I'm not saying that you shouldn't care about the problems it's addressing, it's just not as simple to fix as the video make it out to be. I would actually like to see these guys make more videos addressing all the concerns raised about Kony 2012. They have the worlds attention right now, it's going to be interesting to see how they go forward from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment