Friday, July 2, 2010

Thrifty #13


The way to a man's heart

This weeks thrifty is on a cook book I found at value village. It's The Settlement Cook Book: The way to a man's heart. This book has an extensive collection of early American recipes mostly from Jewish or German immigrants. I don't own many cook books, maybe 2, but I think this is a good one to own, it pretty much has everything.


The copy I bought is from 1951 and is the 13th addition. Its actually in really good shape for being that old and a cook book. It probably was not used much in its previous home.


Check out the contents, pretty much everything you wanted in classic American food.


There are a lot of things I want to try in this cook book such as all the amazing desserts and cookies, there are however many things I don't want to try.


They also have a recipe for Eggs A La Buckingham, which looks similar to Eggs A La Goldenrod but not quite, this book is only from 1951 and it would probably be a few more decades before someone would stumble upon that creation.


I think this is a good find, there is a lot of useful information in this book and the recipes are very well explained and cross referenced. I think I might blog about some of the things I make from this book and might even come up with a new post called Settlement Sunday, or Saturday.

The Settlement Cook Book at Value Village: $4.99

No comments:

Post a Comment