Thursday, April 5, 2012

95

An Old Friend

I've had the same bench pin since I began making Jewelry back in 2005. A bench pin is what you use to saw on with your jewelry saw. It's basically a piece of wood used to support your work. In my metals studio class we were told you can buy one at a jewelry supply shop for around $15, but seeing how at that time I had no money I just cut off a board from a pallet I found in the alley. I've been using that piece of wood for all these years now. Pretty much every thing I have ever made, using my saw at least, has been cut on this bench pin. There is a lot of history there, but it's starting to wear out.

It first started out looking like a regular bench pin with two fingers coming out where you could have your saw in the middle. About a year ago one of the fingers broke off so I was left with just one, which still worked great. Over the years I have sawed, drilled, and sanded a  lot of the wood away. The edges of this wood use to be strait. I have a feeling that pretty soon the whole thing is just going to fall apart. I have some big plans coming up in a few days and I hope that it last until then, but I'm pretty sure that it will be it's last job that I ask of it. After next Monday I'm going to be retiring this bench pin. Here are some photos of this old friend.

Here is a photo of how it looked a little over a year ago when it still had both it's fingers.

Ebony Looking Glass

And how it looks today

Bench Pin

Bench Pin

Bench Pin

Bench Pin

Bench Pin

Hang in there little guy, just a few more days to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment