Wednesday, April 18, 2012

106

100 Rings

100 Rings being made. It took me roughly 35 hours over a few days to put these rings together. I did it in two long strait stretches, one 21 hours long and the other 14 hours. I had many high and low points through those stretches and a few times I actually fell asleep while carving, but only for a few seconds. I always had some coffee ready to keep we awake. My hands and arms never got really all that tired, I guess I do a lot of different motions for each step which helps. The sorest thing after all of this was my ass, even though I was sitting on a padded chair. I can't remember the last time I've sat for that long. I'd say that was the roughest part, there were many times I just wanted to stand and work but most of the work needed to be done on the bench pin. I'm not sure I will ever attempt to do this again. If I put a collection like this together again it will be over many days and shorter stretches. I'm not sure what I was really expecting to get out of this, it's just an idea that I had and followed through with it. It was a bit of a gamble of my time that I hope will eventually pay off when I sell these rings.

Watch them being made.

100 Rings from Ian Gill on Vimeo.
These 100 rings were made to mark the 100th day of 2012, and the 100th day in a row I've made a ring.

I started the evening of April 8th and finished mid-day April 11th. Taking a few breaks here and there it took me roughly 35 hours to make these rings.

The rings are made from Guayacan, Tulipwood, Tamboti, Osage Orange, Mopani, Redheart, and Ebony. Varing in a wide range of sizes

These rings, along with many others, are available for sale in my Etsy shop: Etsy.com/shop/IanGill

Song is Back Home In Derry (Instrumental) by Three Day Threshold

1 comment:

  1. Did you get jumped in the tunnel after we had lunch? TWO DAYS with no blog posts...I don't know what to do with myself.

    ReplyDelete