Thursday, January 27, 2011

What I'm Up To

Rings, Lots of Rings

I've had a little bit of a break from dismantling the Wawona and starting up on John Grade's new projects so I've been busy making things for my etsy shop. So far this week I've made a bunch of wood rings I'll be posting over the next few days. I've also been making some more chainmail bracelets, but as you can see the last two days I've been making wood rings like there going out of style, which I hope they aren't. The sizes in a range from 5 to 16.


The materials I'm making them out of are rosewood, purpleheart, and bocote. The rosewood has a really nice dark subtle beautiful wood grain. Where as the bocote has a very pronounced wood grain with the contrast of the dark and light swirling stripes. The purpleheart has a deep rich color to it. 


The purpleheart starts out much more purple then what the finished piece looks like. The sawdust from this wood is actually quite beautiful and rather then making my studio look messy it adds a nice touch. It also has a very familiar fragrance to it that I can't quite put my finger on, the best way I can actually describe it is that it smells like purple.


I'm not sure how many more rings I'm going to make, I'm sort of on a role. It takes about an hour for each ring. When I post them to my etsy shop they will probably be around $15 each and I may also be having a Valentines sale here soon. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment