Thursday, January 20, 2011

What I'm Up To

Wawona Chainsaw Massacre

This past week I've been moving pieces of the Wawona down to John's studio so we can start to dry it out. We moved all of the planking over the weekend which took about three truck loads. I've also started cutting off chunks of the large frames. With all the planking removed we are just trying to get as much as the usable wood that we can now. The wood used for the frames on the ship are two beams that are sandwiched together. A chainsaw makes pretty quick work of this wood, as long as you don't hit any of the iron.


In the video you can see me brush away sawdust from the beam, that's me looking for the pattern of trunnels and spikes in the wood. Before, as I was removing the planking, the spikes were just loped off at the surface of the beam so there is still a good 4 inches of iron spike ever so often in the wood. There are also drift pins ever so often running through the beams. For the most part I've been able to avoid these but sometimes I would graze a piece of iron or there would be a mystery spike where there shouldn't be one. Needless to say I've gone through about 5 chains so far cutting up 20 frame sections, so not too bad. At least I still have all my arms and legs.

No comments:

Post a Comment