Monday, January 24, 2011

Settlement Sunday #3


After the first two Settlement Sundays filled with deserts I decided to lay off the sweet and go with something more savory. There is a recipe for mulligatawny soup which is a English-Indian fusion dish. It's fairly strait forward and simple to make, although it does take some time cutting up all the ingredients by hand. Speaking of ingredients check out all this fresh produce. Look mom, vegetables. Tomatoes are out of season.


Here is the recipe if you want to copy and past it:

Mulligatawny Soup

3 lbs. raw chicken
4 quarts cold water
2 sour apples, slided
1/4 cup onion, sliced
1/4 cup celery, cut in cubes
1/4 cut carrot, cut in cubes
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 tablespoon flour
2 cloves
1 cup tomato, strained
1/2 green pepper, chopped fine
1/8 teaspoon mace
1 teaspoon chopped parsley
1 teaspoon sugar
Salt and Pepper
1/4 cup butter

Cook vegetables and chicken in the fat until browned; add flour, curry powder, cloves and rest of the ingredients and cook slowly until chicken is tender. Remove chicken and cut the meat in small pieces. Strain soup and rub vegetables through a sieve. Add chicken to strained soup. Season and serve hot, with Boiled Rice, page 226.

Here's how it went together. I skipped all the cutting up of the ingredients because it just took too long, and I figured you would get the idea.


I have to say that although this is a really tasty and hearty dish, if I was to make it again there are a few things I would do differently. First I think I would double the amount of vegetables in the dish. Right now it seems fairly empty, which is why I think I would also not run the soup through a sieve. I like my soups more on the thick side, more like a stew. Secondly I would get a better curry powder, I just went with the generic and I think something a little better and maybe even a little spicy would really set this dish off.

I sure have a lot of it left over, I guess you all know what I'll be eating for dinner for the next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment