Tuesday, February 14, 2012

45

Valentines

For valentines day I sent Carmel a big package filled with amazing things, unfortunately it hasn't gotten to her yet because it takes forever to get anything there. So I've decided to give her a little preview of what she has to look forward too.

One of the things I decided to make Carmel involved the lathe that she got me for Christmas. It all started out with a rough blank of Redheart.

IMG_5254

IMG_5256

I then roughly carved it into a round dowel

IMG_5258

Marked some cut off points

IMG_5260

And started shaping

IMG_5261

Trying my best to match both sides.

IMG_5263

IMG_5264

IMG_5265

IMG_5266

After I finished the shaping I started to sand before cutting the pieces loose

IMG_5267

IMG_5269

At this point I just kept cutting closer and closer until finally the piece just fell apart

IMG_5270

I then just off the excess and gave it a quick sand and some oil and I came out with these

IMG_5389

IMG_5390

IMG_5395

IMG_5396

I saved one for myself and sent the other to Carmel. Now we have something that we can spin together even though we are both spinning on the opposite sides of the earth. Eventually they will spin together again.

1 comment:

  1. AWWWWWWW!!!! Now I really can't wait for the box to show up :)

    ReplyDelete