Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Update

Border Install

Well I've been up here in Blaine a little more then a week installing LPS border project. Were on path and everything is going as planned, no major problems yet. The site we are working on is really busy with lots of construction on the new border crossing. Some days it seems like we make huge progress on the piece when we put a new large section on, then there are days which we spend just filling in sections and stepping back and looking  it feels like we haven't done anything at all. There will be a lot of little welding things at the end which will make a huge difference in the piece but actually seem close up like nothing is happening. I'm constantly finding myself having to step back to get a better look at the piece as a whole and away from looking at the individual rods up close.

It's been interesting staying up here for so long when it's not actually for vacation. I've worked every day I've been up here so we do most of out exploring at night. We have scoured the local landscape for bars or general places of interest. Not much here. Last Friday we ventured up to Vancouver for some good Guu which was nice even though I was somewhat blinded from welding all day. In all its been pretty nice staying up here, the views across the water are always amazing, but I am missing Seattle.

Here is an article about the project I'm helping to install.

Here are some random pictures of the site.

In this pictures you can see the first layer in stalled as well as the partially constructed border crossing and the Peace Arch through that. Also there is my chair and barbecue up on the scaffolding where I take my breaks. 


 Here you can see one side installed and the second side on the ground waiting to be hauled up.


Looking at the side view.


Installing one of the side sections, you can see the wedge that we have to fill in order to blend the two sections and to make sure we have a strong connection between the two. 

We will probably have the whole thing installed by this weekend. I have a bunch more pictures as well as time lapse of some stages of the install. Well, I'll try and post some more soon but right now I'm stealing someones internet so I've got to go.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the update, looks like you're making great progress. I can't wait to see this piece in person.

    ReplyDelete