Friday, July 1, 2011

Update

I'm Still Alive

Well I haven't blogged in awhile. One reason is that I was working like crazy to finish one of John Grade's sculpture and another reason is after I finished it I left to go on a road trip to California all last week.

The sculpture I was working on was for a show in Portland that you can read about here.

You can see in my previous posts pictures of the whole process and here are a few more pictures of it's near completed form.

Light Through The Squares

Cleaning Up the Squares

Here is a picture looking up the inside of the piece.

Looking Up The Center

The last day we scrambled to do all the final little things that needed to get done. We probably could have spent a few more weeks going over it and fixing every little imperfection but after a while you just have to say enough is enough and call the piece completed.

  

We then carried the piece out by hand and loaded it up in the truck to head down to Portland. 


After we loaded the piece up I went home and slept for a long long time and then started to get ready to go on a road trip to Joshua Tree with Carmel. The plan was to head down to Portland to go to the opening at the Portland Art Museum to see John's piece and go the awards ceremony. After that we would make our way down to California.


Our final destination would be camping in Joshua Tree and along the way we planned on stopping off in San Francisco, Big Sur, Anaheim to go to Disneyland,  The Salton Sea and then Portland again on the way back up. I think our interest in going to the Salton Sea and Joshua tree were sparked when we watched this short documentary. 



I also remembered watching Anthony Bourdain go visit the Salton Sea in one of his episodes.


We did manage to go to those places and pretty much see all the things in those videos. I have around 2000 pictures from the trip and I'm planning on sharing each day with a blog post starting tomorrow. There are lots of pictures of driving to our destination when Carmel grabbed my camera and clicked away.

So I guess this blog post is to say that I'm back and you should see me posting more consistently over the next few weeks. So if you have been wondering whey I have been, I've been out collecting great pictures and stories to share with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment