Friday, August 12, 2011

Grandma's Photos


Pictures of Yore

My sister recently gave me a bunch of my Grandparents old slides. Most of the slides were taken on Kodachrome in the 50's. The slides from this set were mostly of trips on their boat around the San Juans. There were also some of my mom and other great photos of the ship canal. I bought an adapter for my camera to convert all the slides into digital form. Here is the set as a whole.


Here are a few of my favorite.

Somewhere up in the San Juans, perfectly calm, I think it's right side up.

unknown

I love the old cars and the store itself. I can't find any information on it though.

Canoe Cove Store 1955

Looking down the ship canal at the Fremont and Aurora bridges. Surprisingly the Fremont bridge is green. Off to the right there is where SPU's athletic field would be today and off to the left is now filled with buildings in Fremont.

Looking toward Fremont and Aurora Bridge 1955

I was amazed to find out where this was. It use to be right next to the Ballard bridge but burnt down a few years after this photo was taken. Here is some more information about it. http://www.historylink.org/_content/printer_friendly/pf_output.cfm?file_id=2445

Seattle Cedar Manufacturing plant in Ballard 1955

Here is an interesting shot of the Ballard bridge when it still had all four towers. Another thing I found interesting is the rail bridge that you can see just behind it that is no longer there. I can't seem to find any information on it or even find where it once was.

Ballard bridge 1955

Looking across Lake Union towards the small skyline of Seattle pre tall skyscrapers and space needle, oh my how it has changed.

Lake Union 1955

Well that's it for now, my grandma had ton of photos so I probably will get another batch here sometime and convert those as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment