Friday, August 27, 2010

Fix It

Sander

I make a lot of things, and I also make a lot of things that aid me in making a lot of things, so I'm going to blog about them with a new feature I'm calling Friday Fix It. Mostly the posts will be about some jig or tool or retrofit that I came up with to help with what I'm doing.

This first post will be about a sander I put together. Its based off of a spindle sander and is great for cleaning up curved lines that you cut out. Having one would really speed up a lot of the pieces I'm making right now but even at Harbor Freight they cost over $100. So I decided to use what I already have and make one. I have a small drill press which you strap in a drill motor into. I flipped the drill and mount upside down and then took a board and cut out two holes one for the shaft on the drill press and one for the sander. In all it took me about 5 minutes and $6 for the sander. I can either with one hand control the speed of the drill or just use a clamp to hold down the trigger. It works great for rough sanding my pieces into shape.



No comments:

Post a Comment